If you encounter any maintenance problems during your stay please report them through the Student Portal, but please free to contact Reception if you are looking for a status update. Outstanding maintenance issues that go unreported, and result in excess damages may be payable by the tenant.
It is important that you ventilate your house/apartment on a regular basis, for the good of your health and also for the good of the property. The following link provides some information on Ventilation and also provides instructions on how to lock your window on the second latch, keeping it secure but allowing fresh air to circulate. Click on Ventilation
For information on how the hot water heating system works please click on the following: Instructions for Water Heater
For information on how to use the electric heaters please click on the following: Heating Instructions
For information on rubbish disposal please click on the following: Refuse & Recycling
Click on The Shower, Bathroom Heater & Extractor Fan for more information on how they work.
FAQs for TCAS Application System
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT AN ONLINE APPLICATION DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU ACCOMMODATION.
Gort na Coiribe operates an online lottery system for applications.
Applications will open and will remain open for a period of 2 weeks.
After this, rooms will be offered by a computer-generated random lottery (not on a first-come-first-served basis).
Please see home page for more details and dates.
How do I apply for Accommodation?
Accommodation applications must be made Online through the Gort na Coiribe website. The Online Application system ‘TCAS’ must be used through Google Chrome Browser.
- You must have a valid email address at time of application.
- You must have your PPSN / social security number
- You must have your parent/guarantor’s phone number and e-mail address
- Student ID no. field applies only to existing University of Galway students. Leaving Cert applicants may leave this blank or insert n/a
- Room Choice – It is very important that you only select a room type that you would be happy to accept. Please, only choose rooms you will accept. If you do not accept the room type you selected your application will be archived.
- Room Sharing – You will be issued with instructions on how to request to share with others once you have been offered a room.
Whilst we do our best to complete all sharing requests, sometime this is not possible.
How much do I need to pay at time of Application?
No payment is to be made at the time of application, once a room offer has been sent to you, you will have 48 hours to make your deposit payment.
If the system does request a deposit (This may happen whilst updates are being made) Please just shut down the page, the application should still come into us. If you pay the deposit, it does not guarantee you will acquire accommodation. The amount will be rebated back to your card.
How do I know my application was received?
At the end of every working day we will send an email to all those that have submitted an application since the previous working day to confirm that we have received your application.
When will I know if my application has been successful?
Gort na Coiribe will contact you by email offering you one of your room type choices, if you do not wish to accept this room, no further action is required, and your application will be archived.
If you do wish to accept the room type you will have 48 hours to pay the deposit.
Methods of payment accepted are:
All payments must be made through our online TCAS Payments can be made by credit/Debit card, most major credit cards accepted. Credit or debit card payments can take up to 48 hours to reach our bank account.
Is my payment Secure?
Your online payments are processed through the Realex Payment Gateway. Realex is one of Europe’s largest Online Payment Gateways processing payments in excess of €24billion annually, with data security at its core. The main security features which should give you the customer piece of mind are
- 3D Secure giving Cardholder authentication at the time of the transaction.
- Realex accepts & checks the CVV/CVN codes entered. This is the three/four digit code on the back of the card that proves the purchaser has the physical card with them
- Forty different real-time checks prior or separately to authorisation
How do I make payment?
Log into your student Portal – Under “Financials” – payment online – make payment
When paying your 1st Moiety/Monthly rent you must pay your electricity prepayment together with your rent. If you only make payment of your electricity prepayment the system will not allow you to progress and pay your semester rent.
My payment is not going through?
If you receive the following messages;
- Your Credit Card transaction could not be be processed. Returned : Transaction blocked by merchant configuration. Please contact the merchant. Please contact your bank with this error information Note: Please note that if you fail to make payment at this point, we reserve the right to cancel your application.
Please contact the Residence office if you have any questions or you are having difficulties making your online payment.
The error above corresponds to a transaction that has failed because it was not 3dsecure (i.e. verified by visa). You must follow the steps to log in or create a password. You will need your bank account details to complete this section. This is an online security requirement of your bank and not a Gort na Coiribe requirement.
- Your Credit Card transaction could not be processed. Returned: NOT AUTHORISED Please contact your bank with this error information Note: Please note that if you fail to make payment at this point, we reserve the right to cancel your application.
Please contact the Residence office if you have any questions or you are having difficulties making your online payment.
A daily limit may apply to debit cards. Please pay the max on your card on day 1 and return to the system the following day to pay the balance.
- If you receive the message “awaiting response” there is a possibility that we will still get the payment. Please allow for 24 hours for Gort na Coiribe to check our payment logs or alternatively you can check with your bank to see if payment will be processed. If payment has not been processed after 24 hours then you will need to try and make payment online again. At this stage the original payment will not go through.
What is my Student Portal?
Your student portal is your own personal account for your accommodation
- It gives full visibility of your Booking period & your personal profile
- Full visibility of your payments, charges & account balance
- Check your electricity charges and manage usage
- Download Lease Agreement
- It is the main tool for communication between you and the Gort na Coiribe office
- Log Maintenance issues online and check progress
- Contact office though contact manager
- View Notice Board
We strongly advise you check your student portal daily for information updates.
How do I log into my Student Portal?
Please click on the link on the home page to access the Gort na Coiribe Student Portal;
Use your 10 digit reference application number (already issued to you in your offer email) as your Application Number and your password is the email address used when applying. We recommend you change your password to something memorable in your student portal once you log in.
How do I change my password?
Once logged into your student portal, click on the “Resident Administrations”, then change password and fill out the requested details. Please ensure you save your new password.
How do I amend / make changes to my application?
Change requests need to be submitted by email to [email protected]
Can I cancel my Application through my student portal?
Cancellations must be made in writing via email. Please refer to our cancellation policy here general-terms-of-living-in-gnc
When will I know what room / house I am in?
Once you have received an email confirming your room allocation you can see what room you have been assigned to under the booking info; you will also have access to your lease agreement here. Please note that changes may apply to your booking until the start of the lease date; this is out of our control and your house details may change.
Can I get a Statement of account?
All your financial information is available through your student portal under “Statement”.
All apartments are fitted with smoke alarms, fire blankets and fire extinguishers.
Never leave a chip pan or grill pan unattended. Clean grill pans regularly and use tin foil. Never cook food in chip or oil pans late at night.
Unplug all electrical equipment appliances before retiring to bed at night, especially hair straighteners.
Gort na Coiribe Houses are strictly non smoking. Please smoke outside and discard cigarette end carefully.
Clothing or similar items should never be within 1 meter of an electric heater. Do not cover electric heaters.
Never disconnect the smoke alarm from its power source.
Close all internal doors when retiring to bed at night and whenever the apartment is vacated as this helps to prevent a fire spreading and provides additional time for the occupant to escape.
In the event of a maintenance issue arising, please report it immediately to reception.
Ensure all windows and external doors are securely locked before leaving your apartment. Do not lock internal doors.
Gort Na Coiribe Management Company CLG
Gort na Coiribe Village Rules
- FURNITURE / INVENTORY – You are not permitted to remove any item of inventory supplied for your use from the house to the common areas of the complex or indeed any other property. This includes Chairs, Sofas, Glassware, Crockery etc. whether supplied by the Landlord or the tenants. The management reserve the right to remove any such offending item.
- LIVING WITH OTHERS – You must always show respect & consideration to your housemates. After using the kitchen/bathroom/all common areas, you (or any of your guests) must leave them in a clean and tidy manner.
- WASHING & LAUNDRY – Washing must not be hung out to dry from the windows of your house or be visible from the Common area of the complex. There is a launderette on site for this purpose. Management and Security staff reserves the right to remove such items from public view. This also applies to Flags, Banners, Posters or Signs hung from windows or on any interior or exterior wall within the complex.
- BICYCLES/MOTORCYCLES – You are reminded that all Bicycles and Motorcycles must be placed in the Bike Sheds provided and not brought into your apartment. There is racking provided within and to the sides of these sheds to allow you to securely leave your bicycle/motorcycle. Please enquire at reception about a key to the bike areas. Students that persist in locking their bicycles outside designated areas will have their bicycle removed and disposed of.
- BOTTLE/CANS – You are advised that the consumption of any alcoholic beverage is strictly prohibited on any of the common areas of the complex, in any gardens or on balconies. You are reminded that you are not permitted to stack or have on view in the windows of your house any bottles, cans or any other such items.
- SPEED LIMIT – There is a 20kph speed limit in place in and around the development. CCTV cameras monitor the common areas. If you are caught dangerous driving or causing noise disturbance (speeding, revving of engine etc) you will be asked to remove your vehicle permanently from Gort na Coiribe.
- VISITORS / SECURITY – In the interests of security within the complex, residents are requested not to allow entry to ANYBODY except your own personally invited Guests and Visitors. You are required to sign in overnight guests at reception during office hours. Residents are responsible for any damages or noise caused by guests which could result in termination of Licence Agreement in serious cases. Front, back or balcony doors are not to be left open unattended. Please report any suspicious activity to Reception, Security or your local Garda station at Mill Street Garda Station, Galway on Tel. No: 091-538000. Please advise your guests to respect our complex and our neighbours when visiting as you are responsible for their behaviour.
- NOISE / MUSIC – Please note that excessive noise will not be tolerated at any time within the Gort na Coiribe Complex. Please keep the volume of your Stereos, Radios and TV appliances at a volume that will not interfere with your housemates or neighbours’ quiet enjoyment of their apartments. This includes the playing of musical instruments, loudspeakers, mechanical noise, singing or any other noise that may cause annoyance to the occupiers of the complex.
- SECURITY STAFF – Please treat with respect the Security Personnel on duty in the Gort na Coiribe Complex. They are here for your protection and security, the protection of the complex and the protection of all properties. Security staff issue a nightly written report to management. Any reports received by Management concerning abuse of the security personnel will be dealt with in an appropriate manner.
- LANDSCAPING – Please do not damage or interfere with the grounds and Landscaping. It is not permitted to play football or any other sport on the grounds. There will be a charge for damages caused to landscaping.
- SHOPPING TROLLEYS – All trolleys brought into the complex must be returned to the relevant supermarket. These are the property of the supermarket. Unreturned trolleys will be treated as theft with the relevant authorises notified.
- BARBEQUES – barbeques or open fires of any kind are strictly prohibited for your own personal safety and the safety of other residents of Gort na Coiribe.
- SECURING DOORS AND WINDOWS – Please keep all windows of your apt/house securely closed at all times when unoccupied. It is important to secure all windows and doors even if leaving the room or house/apt. unattended for short periods. Whilst it is very important to ventilate your property to avoid condensation, do not leave your windows open at times of high wind. Any damage that occurs to your property due to windows or doors being left open and unattended will be borne by you, the tenant. In addition, the climbing in and out of windows is forbidden at any time unless in the event of an emergency situation.
- MOTOR VEHICLE SECURITY – it is important that your car is always secure, lock it, even if unattended only for a short period. Residents/Guests parking in the car park provided are parking at their own risk.
- NO SMOKING – smoking is not permitted in the houses and apartments of Gort na Coiribe, nor in the corridors of the apartment blocks. It is your responsibility to ensure your guests abide by this no smoking policy also.
- BALCONIES – All residents must use the balcony responsibly and are responsible for the behaviour of their guests when on their balcony. Crossing over balconies to access another apartment is strictly forbidden and subject to disciplinary action if a student is reported.
- DRUG USE – Personal use, sale or supply of illegal drugs is strictly prohibited. Any students found to be engaging in such activities may face termination of their lease agreement within 7 days for serious anti-social behaviour and the relevant authorities notified.
- MONETARY FINE FOR BREACH OF HOUSE RULES – the Owners Management Company reserves the right to impose a fine on any property that is in breach of the aforementioned House Rules, which will be charged to the landlord, who may in turn pass on to their tenants. The fine will be €100 for each and every occurrence of a breach.
University of Galway Code of Conduct
As Gort na Coiribe is an official student residence of University of Galway, the University of Galway Student Code of Conduct applies to all University of Galway students, whether they are a resident here or simply visiting friends. Please click on the following link for more information: University of Galway Student Code of Conduct
Residential Tenancies Act (2004)
The Residential Tenancies Act 2004 provides for reform of residential landlord and tenant law, based on the recommendations of the Commission on the Private Rented Residential Sector. This Guide provides a short summary of some of the main elements of the new legislation.
You can download a quick guide here